This week was all about the effects of populism and far right on democracy: populist governments have deepened corruption, eroded individual rights and inflicted damage on democratic institutions!
- NPR: Analysis: how the rise of the far right threatens democracy worldwide
- Euronews: Democracy in Europe “has declined more than any other region”
- The Atlantic: What populists do to democracies
- CNBC: Germany’s Merkel says she has “grave doubts” about the incoming world order
- World Economic Forum: A rejection of populism: global public opinion comes out strongly in favour of openness and collaboration
- The Guardian: Revealed: one in four Europeans vote populist
- Book recommendation: How Democracies Die, a 2018 book by Harvard University political scientists Steven Levitsky and Daniel Ziblatt about how elected leaders can gradually subvert the democratic process to increase their power.
- Time: 5 countries show how the European Far-Right is growing in power
- Politico: Europe in pieces: where voters disagree
Until next Sunday!